Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where's the Gift in That?

First Ice Cream of the Season

With three kids five and under there's no way not to be overwhelmed.  Really. I have no idea how mothers of more do it.  It is a sun up to sun down work that is mostly physical toughness with a few moments of sweetness thrown in like sugared almonds: consistent discipline, a huge amounts of energy, and meeting lots of physical needs random and otherwise.

I was just getting the hang of mothering when baby #3 came. I was no longer feeling my stress level rise when I thought about getting two out of the house and into carseats. Bedtime was no longer a matter for much prayer, dreaded, feared and finally, after accomplishing, landing in a lump of exhaustion on the couch in front of the tv with a glass of chocolate milk.

Then, we happily upped the ante. I had wanted more than two, had prayed about more than two but was truly surprised by the reality. Whenever babies cross the 20 month threshold, they get much easier and I knew that we had about two years of exhaustion heading our direction.



But, truthfully, I find myself in a contentment tug of war with whatever stage of life I am in. I strain toward the future instead of resting in the present. I recently had about four days with Andrew at diocesan convention with kids at grandparents and easily slid into being able to finish thoughts on my blog, an hour of two of prayer time, daily exercise and adult conversations that were meaty and satisfying.

On coming home I was in a bit of a culture shock. If I get a shower each day, I feel that life is a success. Doing the breakfast dishes before dinner takes a major act of the will and sometimes two or three tries at the thing.  You know how it is.

The point is that I stopped today, plugged into a moment of quiet with God and asked Him how my day should go. (connecting to the Vine) He showed me the beautiful face of my daughter enrapt with a squirrel out the window, the profile of my son working on his first letter at the computer "I luv u mom" and my heart melted. I slowed down. So, I'm not going to be able to get as much done today, but, I will get to enjoy the Gifts in my midst.
 
We have lovely friends at our church who always tell me that they were surpised by a statement that I use: "there's a gift in that."    Whenever I share a personal story, no matter how bleak, there's always a gift to receive from God.  They repeat it back to me now when sharing the gifts of God in the midst of their messy, imperfect lives. 
 
He can redeem and bring gifts into whatever frustrating situation we find ourselves in.
 
So, my dear, now I ask you..."where is the gift in that?" 

In fact, I ask you, do you want to leave this timeperiod, this hardship without the gift?  Beg God to give you the gift of this place, to mature you, to show you how you need to grow.  Don't leave this difficulty without more. 

Consider it pure joy, my sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence.  Perseverence must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4

Go deeper:  Much of what we need to learn and grow can only be unlocked through the Word and through God's person, Himself.  Do a keyword search on an attribute of God on http://www.biblegateway.com/  Come back to the computer for a few seconds all day long and read the next verse.  This is one of the greatest faith, hope and trust builders I know...let alone a way to constantly abide in Him.

"Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10

No comments: