Thursday, March 25, 2010

Released to Create Beauty

I love the Nancy Meyers' houses in Something's Gotta Give, The Holiday, and now in It's Complicated. (I must say I went to see the movie with crazy anticipation for Alec Baldwin's quick witted humor and views of the house.)  The painted It's Complicated kitchen has an achievable look for all budgets.



Doesn't this kitchen cry out to be cooked in?  Can't you hear it, "Please, cook in me some fabulous thyme and rosemary infused Beouf Bourginon."  The oranges alone on the counter do it for me.  I think I have an orange deficiency every spring.
Love the fabric front cabinet and the shelves which somehow don't look disorganized. 
Sometimes I need to be inspired in my own house to create a more homey beauty and besides going to this lady: www.sugarpiefarmhouse.com



and some others, I love creating a home that almost calls out to me to enjoy cooking,cleaning, organizing, and blessing my family. Recently, my first step to creating a kitchen I love to cook in was to copy the It's Complicated house and have herbs in and around my window. A simple step.  Can you believe I have kept them alive for a whole 6 weeks? Unprecedented! Herb plants are seriously cheap at the superstore Meijer...$2.50 and can be reused (obviously).

Heaven is going to be beautiful.  I know that I know that I know that heaven will far surpass any image we might have in our mind (we'll be embarrassed someday by how anemic this image really is :)...and beauty is essential to our beings...God created us that way.  We can give ourselves permission to stop fighting our love of beauty as if it isn't frugal enough, saintly enough. 



Even monks know how to paint and recognize the glory of God...in gold leaf, for goodness sake!  Ever seen St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice?  You can't leave that church without having worshipped.  If God created 1000's of varieties of frogs in one forest just for the joy of it, we should glory in beauty!  In fact, I think creating beauty heals the world, brings in God's Kingdom come...in that mystical now I have to shut my mouth kind of way.  See What Beauty is For by Sara Groves


Bon Vie, my luminous sisters!

No comments: