Friday, May 28, 2010

Taking a Picture to Help My Short Term Memory...Literally

The tourists are back in town with cameras big and small and today I joined them...out of a pursuit for truth.  I've had a bad attitude lately...and my short-term memory has been lousy.  Essentially I go through the bedtime routine with the new addition of daily baths and I fall exhausted onto the couch, frustrated over a day with annoying children.  And no, they were not annoying and no, it wasn't a bad day.  I just happen to be excellent at focusing on the stress and not the smiles.

Today I decided to use up the memory on my phone by literally taking pictures of our entire day together, the precious moments big and small. 

First picture: Caedmon was inspired to get ready for kindergarten by writing in his new lined notebook.  Madeline followed suit by learning to write a new letter.  Quiet productivity.  Interested learning.  There's nothing better.  Click.

An hour later Madeline came into the kitchen with an armful of boardbooks to read to X-man.  Click...only of course with a short attention span of a 10 month old, a minute too late.  By the time I had grabbed the camera, Madeline was chasing X with said books.  "Look at this one!"

I put Xavier down for morning nap to find that I had a few moments to read.  I downloaded Swiss Family Robinson on my phone and read a few pages of the original to an enrapt Caedmon.  I have no idea how much he comprehended, the language was thick with "said I's" and "personages."  Quality time cuddling on the red couch with my eldest and a book is heaven for an English major.  Click.

After lunch I put X-man into the Kelty backpack and the other two darling towheads into the double stroller and headed downtown for the above view and of course a quick bakery run for Morning Glory muffins.  Click.

Dinner was a picnic at the kids' park with friends.  The weather was sunny with a breeze.  Kids roamed free (sounds like a description of organic chickens:) AND I got to chat with adults while watching sailboats float across the horizon.  Click.

Recently I read that negative thoughts literally release toxic chemicals into the brain and positive thoughts release good hormones.  Wow.  That explains a lot.  So often I get to the end of the day believing a lie, that my life is horrible and whining, "don't I have it so hard!?"    The truth is just the opposite: "Every good and perfect gift has come from above" (James 1:17) I just have an embarrassingly bad short-term memory.  I'm like a child on Christmas morning after the presents have been opened, disappointed she hasn't been given anything special.  

I've decided that the truth is worth fighting for,  I just need a little digital help it to sink in.  I think I'll continue my pursuit of truth tomorrow at the beach.

No comments: