Tuesday, July 15, 2008

luminous women--shining like stars

When my Tuesday morning group arrives at the front door of my little yellow cottage, (and I'm feeling particularly shiny that day) I often greet them with a "welcome, luminous women."

And they are.

We've been studying scripture and various Christian books for two years now and WOW what a joy! God is being reflected more and more.

Our blog name comes from Philippians 2:15, but here's the context, (a scripture I've been quoting to my children almost constantly lately...and to myself as well :) "Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation in which you shine like the stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life..." Shine like stars in the universe...as you hold out the word of life. Wow, I'd like to take a bath in that, it's so good.

So, my luminous women (Andrew is right now teaching me how this blog thingy sets up and is laughing at the words, "luminous women" --What do you think about “Glow in the Dark Chics” or “Radioactive Maidens,” Phosphorescent Females, he really could go on!) what does it mean to be shiny...to shine...today?

This song by Sara Groves and Matt Bronlewee sums up what I've been learning about worship and realigning myself with the God of the universe:

You Are the Sun

You are the sun
shining down on everyone
Light of the world
giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant
I can hardly take it in
And everywhere You are
is warmth and light
And I am the moon
with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I cannot be a light
unless I turn my face to you

It's so good to remember, isn't it? Though we may be shiny, we are never the center of the universe and the light source doesn't even originate within us! As John Eldredge says in his powerful daily prayer in the back of most of his books, "He is the hero of the story...and the end of all things, including my life." So, I am starting this blog to encourage you, my friends, and anyone else out there who desires to let God make us light reflectors. Some days our blog will be just a quote from a book, other days a thought and some days just a picture of something I find particularly beautiful.

In particular, our dear friend Stephanie is moving this week...to ALASKA, of all beautiful and rugged and luminous places...Stephanie who God gave me in order to have the courage to leave the Episcopal church and create a safe (Anglican) haven for new believers to grow. So, this is my parting gift to you, my dear...for you to visit your friends on the Lake...and make your way up the path to the little yellow cottage anytime you so desire. Stephanie, You are a luminous woman! What a joy it has been to have you in our lives. Loved. Always.

No comments: